Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Navigation

Personal tools
You are here: ROADS at McMaster > Funding Sources > 2015 Large Scale Applied Research Project Competition (LSARP)

2015 Large Scale Applied Research Project Competition (LSARP)

Genome Canada
2015 Large Scale Applied Research Project Competition (LSARP)
Natural Resources and the Environment: Sector Challenges - Genomic Solutions

 

Notify ROADS of Intent to Apply by June 25th

Draft Registration due to Ontario Genomics Institute (OGI) by July 13th

Draft Pre-Applications due to OGI by September 3rd

 

 

Genome Canada  has   launched a Request for Applications (RFA) and is seeking proposals for large-scale research projects which focus on the application of genomics to Natural Resources and the Environment.

 

This competition aims to support applied research projects focused on using genomic approaches to address challenges and opportunities of importance to Canada’s natural resources and environment sectors, including interactions between natural resources and the environment, thereby contributing to the Canadian bioeconomy and the well-being of Canadians. The scope of this funding opportunity includes areas such as genomics research related to energy, mining, forestry, water stewardship, wildlife management/conservation and bioproducts that help conserve natural resources and protect the environment. It also includes the use of genomics to identify key elements that impact ecosystem structure, function and diversity.

 

Applicants must demonstrate how their proposal holds high potential for attaining concrete deliverables by the end of the funding period, and that these deliverables will be subsequently translated into significant social and/or economic benefits within as short a timeframe as possible following the conclusion of the project, taking into consideration what is reasonable for each sector.

 

Note that studies focusing on human health as impacted by the environment or projects focused on producing food or food supplements for human or animal consumption are not eligible for support in this competition.

 

 

Application Process:

If you intend to apply, please notify Sherisse Webb, Assistant Director – Development, ROADS at webbsh@mcmaster.ca or extension 26946 by June 25th.

 

Applicants are required to apply for funding through the Ontario Genomics Institute.  The application process is comprised of three steps: Registration, Pre-Application and Full Application.

 

Draft Registrations are due to the Ontario Genomics Institute by July 13th. Final Registrations are due to OGI by July 31st. OGI will screen the Registrations for eligibility prior to submission to GenomeCanada.

 

Draft Pre-Applications are due to OGI by September 3rd. OGI will complete a due diligence review of draft pre-applications prior to submission of the final draft to OGI by November 2nd. Applicants will receive feedback on their pre-applications including gaps and areas for improvement. OGI plans to use this feedback to assess the level and type of support required to help the teams through the application process.

 

Only the most competitive Pre-Applications will be invited to submit draft full applications to OGI in March 2016. It is expected that approximately 30 Pre-applications will proceed to the full application stage.

 

Researchers in Ontario intending to submit an application are strongly encouraged to contact OGI to discuss details of the competition such as the scope, the application process, tips for writing the Benefits to Canada Section of the proposal, how to incorporate GE3LS in proposals, and co-funding requirements.

 

 

Value:

There is up to $26 million available for this competition through GenomeCanada.

 

GenomeCanadawill provide support for projects ranging in total size from $2 million to $10 million. The Genome Canada investment cannot exceed more than 33 percent of the total investment in the project by all parties; the remaining 67 percent must be secured through co-funding. The Ontario Genomics Institute will work with applicants to secure co-funding.

 

Successful individual projects will be awarded funding for a term of up to four years.

 

 

More Information:

Additional information about the 2015 LSARP competition can be found on the OGI website at http://www.ontariogenomics.ca/lsarp2015.