CIHR Foundation Scheme
The CIHR Foundation Scheme is designed to contribute to a sustainable foundation of new and established health research leaders, by providing long-term support for the pursuit of innovative and high-impact research programs.
The Foundation Scheme is expected to:
- support a broad base of health research leaders across all career stages, areas and health-related disciplines with a demonstrable track record of excellence and impact in their field of study;
- develop and maintain Canadian capacity in health research and other related fields;
- provide research leaders with the flexibility to pursue novel and innovative lines of inquiry;
- contribute to the creation and application of health-related knowledge through a wide range of research and/or knowledge translation activities, including relevant collaborations.
The Foundation Scheme is open to applicants in all areas of health research that are aligned with the CIHR mandate.
Eligible applicants will include new/early-career, mid-career and established researchers, who are independent researchers with a demonstrable track record of excellence and impact in their field of study.
New and early-career investigators:
- CIHR defines a new/early career investigator as someone who, at the registration deadline, has held a full-time appointment as an independent researcher (e.g., faculty appointment providing eligibility to apply for grants and/or supervise trainees) for a period of 0 to 60 months.
- To support the objective of the program – a sustainable foundation of health research leaders – a minimum annual intake of new investigators into the Foundation Grant portfolio will be established. Competition processes and peer review for this cohort will be fully integrated within the competition as a whole with no additional steps being required on the part of the applicant.
Additional information regarding the Foundation Scheme and upcoming program details can be found on the Canadian Institutes of Health Research website at http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/47618.html.