eHealth Innovation Partnership Program (eHIPP)
Application registration deadline: April 1, 2015
First draft of application due to ROADS by: April 22, 2015
Second draft of application due to ROADS by: May 20, 2015
Final application due to ROADS by: 4PM June 1, 2015
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) has launched the eHealth Innovations Partnership Program (eHIPP).
eHIPP is the first phase of the broader eHealth Innovations Initiative (eHII). eHIPP is intended to stimulate the design, testing, evaluation, and spread of evidence-based eHealth solutions that are grounded in the needs of patient groups and populations. eHIPP will support inter-sectoral collaboration of researchers, health systems, end-users and health technology partners, with the expectation that health technology partners will work with innovation communities to improve outcomes, patient experience, and health care efficiencies in the two eHIPP priority areas. These priority areas include:
- Early identification of, and intervention for youth and adolescents (11-25 years of age) with mental health conditions; or,
- Support of seniors with complex care needs in their homes
eHIPP is intended to stimulate the design, testing, evaluation and integration of evidence-based, patient-centered eHealth solutions by leveraging technology innovation partners. The objectives are to:
- Identify patient-oriented eHealth solutions that will improve health outcomes, patient experience, and lower the cost of care along the continuum for two eHIPP priority areas.
- Foster partnerships between innovation communities and health technology partners to co-design eHealth-enabled service delivery programs and evaluate the clinical benefit and cost-effectiveness of eHealth solutions in clinical and population health environments; these evaluations will take the form of cluster randomized and/or randomized controlled trials to generate high quality evidence that will assist in the subsequent commercialization of successful innovations.
eHIPP will fund grants up to $1.5 million over a maximum of four years with half of the funding coming from health technology partners, economic development agencies, and other health funding agencies. Applicants must secure external partnership contributions and CIHR will match these contributions on a 1:1 basis up to $187,500 per year with a maximum total of $750,000 over four years.
To apply, the following eligibility criteria must be met:
1. At least one of the Nominated Principal Applicants must be affiliated with a CIHR eligible institution at the time of application and must represent one of the requirements of the health-care innovation community leadership:
- A scientific lead (an independent researcher)
- A clinical lead (a health professional engaged in healthcare delivery)
- A decision maker in the ‘health care innovation community’ who is authorized to commit that health-care innovation community to participation in the eHIPP evaluation.
- Patient/family representative(s).
2. The team must identify, in addition to the health-care innovation community leads, end users such as caregivers, as well as health professionals (such as nurses, physicians, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, case workers, psychologists).
3. Applicants must secure external partner contributions at a 1:1 ratio based on the CIHR grant portion of up to $750,000 ($187,000 per annum) over four years.
If you plan to submit an application, please contact Colleen McGrath, Senior Advisor, ROADS, at email@example.com or extension 24519, by March 11, 2015.
The first draft of the full application is due to the Research Office for Administration, Development and Support (ROADS) by April 22, 2015. The second draft of the application is due to ROADS by May 20, 2015. The final application is due to ROADS by 4PM EST on June 1, 2015.
Full applications will be forwarded by ROADS to CIHR by June 3, 2015.
Additional information about eHIPP can be found on the CIHR website at https://www.researchnet-recherchenet.ca/rnr16/vwOpprtntyDtls.do?prog=2171&view=currentOpps&type=EXACT&resultCount=25&sort=program&all=1&masterList=true